[Kde-games-devel] Yet another 'the games do not follow the same style' mail

Sun Aug 17 23:47:19 CEST 2008

On Sun, Aug 17, 2008 at 21:36, Parker Coates <parker.coates at gmail.com> wrote:

> The location of menu items is probably a bad example as it can
> probably be standardised without too much disagreement and it's
> unlikely to cause anyone too much grief. On the other hand, things
> like how a new game is started is going to be a lot harder to come to
> an agreement on.

I suspect many people did not give too much thought on how other
games do things. kblocks has notifications in the top left, kfourinline
has them in the lower left. Most games overlay the middle, some use
popup boxes. I doubt there was too much deliberate process involved,
more a "i need to do x, y is a way to do x" semi-random process.
Feedback from my bug reports is positive so I think most will
welcome this effort.

> I also thought that tabulating the inconsistencies would also probably
> help identify different "classes" of games. Because the games
> themselves are different, 100% consistency is neither possible or
> desirable, but there is also a lot of common ground between certain
> games as well.

I would define the classes before, not afterwards. Don't file what is
there. Think about what the categories are and go from there.

> For example, if we noticed that most of the timed games start a new
> game like this, and quite a few of the untimed games start a new game
> like that, then maybe we could classify games as either "timed" and
> "untimed" and come up with a consistent game starting method for each
> class.

Real-time vs at leisure. Fluid vs step-based. Timed vs untimed. And
loads of others.

Richard