[Kde-games-devel] Sound in kdegames?

Mauricio Piacentini piacentini at kde.org
Sun Aug 17 22:36:34 CEST 2008

Ethan Anderson wrote:
> If phonon isn't working right in some situation, file a bug against
> it.  Phonon is the sound api to use in /all/ kde applications, games
> or othewise, unless i'm seriously mistaken..

You are mistaken, as Eugene has reported, but this is ok. The situation
is still being evaluated, but it looks like we will need to roll our own
sound api for games that need to mix sounds and have low latency. Phonon
was never designed for this scenario, and we have tried to use it for a
while without success.
Using OpenAL directly is an option, but I think we should go for a
libkdegames style solution as a thin wrapper to pulseaudio, openal or
portaudio, with the possibility of preloading some samples (we will only
support one or two formats) and playing them. Some mod support could be
nice, but it can be a separate extension. So it all depends on someone
stepping up to do it: this person should probably design something
he/she feels good with, and happy to work for the next couple of months
or more, and maintain it afterwards.

Regards,
Mauricio Piacentini