[Kde-games-devel] Yet another 'the games do not follow the same style' mail

Parker Coates parker.coates at gmail.com
Sun Aug 17 21:36:36 CEST 2008

On Sun, Aug 17, 2008 at 14:46, Ethan Anderson <ethana2 at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm odd like this, but I usually don't consider the way things /are/
> to be relevant.
> What /should/ the menus be?

The location of menu items is probably a bad example as it can
probably be standardised without too much disagreement and it's
unlikely to cause anyone too much grief. On the other hand, things
like how a new game is started is going to be a lot harder to come to
an agreement on.

I guess my point is that the authors have already voted how they think
things /should/ be with their own applications. If someone's chosen to
do things differently in their game, they obviously must have some
belief that that is how things should be, or they wouldn't have
bothered coming up with their own solution.

I also thought that tabulating the inconsistencies would also probably
help identify different "classes" of games. Because the games
themselves are different, 100% consistency is neither possible or
desirable, but there is also a lot of common ground between certain
games as well.

For example, if we noticed that most of the timed games start a new
game like this, and quite a few of the untimed games start a new game
like that, then maybe we could classify games as either "timed" and
"untimed" and come up with a consistent game starting method for each
class.

Parker