[Kde-games-devel] Yet another 'the games do not follow the same style' mail

Parker Coates parker.coates at gmail.com
Sun Aug 17 19:47:21 CEST 2008

Richard,

Consistency between games is a pretty hot topic right now. You seem to
be (and no offence is intended here) a nit-picker with a great deal of
patience. Perhaps you (or someone else) would be interested in doing
some research and actually tabulating data about the differences
between games.

Right now there are a lot of statements like "the theme selection
seems to be in a different place for each KDE game" but in reality I
would bet there's only three maybe four different ways of changing
themes. It be nice to have a table where it's clear that 4 games do it
this way, 7 do it this way and only one does it this way.

Possible points of comparison:
- Game start screen
- Theme changing
- Configuration through dialog or menu items or both
- Highscores usage
- Difficulty changing
- Game over screen
- Level selection
- Timed modes
- Other menu entries
- Pausing
- In game notifications

Having hard numbers would make it easier to identify major
inconsistencies and also to see trends in the behaviour of different
types of games. Without them, we end up discussing the issue using
sentences that start with "It seems like..", "I'm under the impression
that most games..", etc.

Parker