[Kde-games-devel] A new highscore manager - KScoreManager

Matt Williams matt at milliams.com
Tue Apr 29 23:34:44 CEST 2008

On Tuesday 29 April 2008 22:25:43 Mauricio Piacentini wrote:
> Matt Williams wrote:
> > Thanks a lot for your input, my brain had really hit a dead-end with this
> > for a while.
>
> Just to deadlock your brain a little bit more :)
> I do not think we should overengineer the thing, at least in the sense
> of the external API for the games. Things should be really simple for
> game authors, more or less like they are now with KScoreDialog:
>
> a) create the object
> b) set some options (preferrably with one or two lines only)
> c) display with one call, or get the widget to embed in your canvas
>
> The dialog/widget should handle capturing the username and other stuff,
> without going through the app for this, imo.

I agree and I'm really trying to keep the API lean for the enduser. The plan
is that all the signals, slots, getters and bools that Parker's suggesting
will be handled entirely by the UI class and so the game will not need to
know anything about it. Such that:

KScoreManager::self()->addScore(playerScore)
new scoreDialog( KScoreManager::self() )->show();

will ask the player for their name via the scoreDialog but the game won't have
to worry about that.

Hopefully :)

Matt