[Kde-games-devel] A new highscore manager - KScoreManager

Dmitry Suzdalev dimsuzkde at gmail.com
Tue Apr 29 14:07:14 CEST 2008

On Tuesday 29 April 2008 15:52:31 Mauricio Piacentini wrote:
> I am not really a fan of this idea, because in some cases you want to
> dismiss the dialog and see the end position of the game. Maybe it could
> be added, but with a flag in the constructor to make it optional?
> BTW, in some games I added a 0.5 second delay between the game end and
> the popup of the KScoreDialog. This is more pleasant imo, as you have
> time to see the "Game Over" message before it pops up. Previously you
> would get it (in KMines for example) before you had a chance to realize
> the game was ended

I said this a couple of times to different people, but let me repeat that I'm not a
fan of popping up some dialog at the end of the game at all :)
It always annoys a gamer in me. What if i just don't care about highscores? Why the
game insists on me doing some actions just to continue playing?!

Instead I would suggest to simply show some unobtrusive popup-message like
"Congratulations! You've made a new highscore!"

And *if user wants* he can go to the menu or toolbar and select "Show highscores"
action. That is not that compex for him at all :)

The only problem is perhaps how to get the user name by default if we have no dialog
to ask for it.
This is a separate issue though and should be discussed on itself. What i'm talking
about is that i feel that current way of showing a highscore dialog not caring if
user wants it is not a smartest thing the game could do :)

Any thoughts on that?

Cheers,
Dmitry.