[Kde-games-devel] A new highscore manager - KScoreManager

Matt Williams matt at milliams.com
Tue Apr 29 03:37:18 CEST 2008

Some of you may have noticed that I've been fighting with KScoreDialog for the
last day or two. Now between me, Albert and Fela we've managed to find a way
to fix all the reported bugs in time for 4.1 so that people are no longer
tearing their hair out. But as anyone who's taken a look at the source code
will have realised, it's a bloody mess inside. Much of the guts of the class
dates back to 1998 and after changing maintainers several times and even
going without maintainers sometimes it's grown unruly.

And so my plan is this: I'm going to fix up the bugs in KScoreDialog as best I
can in time for 4.1, but for 4.2, I'm going to write a new highscore
management system. I'm going to keep it in much the same spirit as
KScoreDialog (i.e. a simple highscore management system, not designed to
handle worldwide scores or anything) but I'm going to clean up the API and
make the workflow much nicer. I'm also going to rewrite the background stuff
to make it maintainable.

Attached is the current API for the class (named KScoreManager). I haven't
written any of the .cpp yet because I wanted to make sure the API made sense
first. Yes, the file is about 80% comments but I'd appreciate it if people
were to look through the API and code examples in the comments and tell me
the places where I'm being stupid :). After a little bit of API review here
I'll probably import it into playground until 4.1 gets branched off at which
point I'll move it to trunk.

Comments? Complaints? Insults?

Regards,
Matt Williams