[Kde-games-devel] KScoreDialog

Fela Winkelmolen fela.kde at gmail.com
Mon Apr 28 19:16:41 CEST 2008

On Monday 28 April 2008, Matt Williams wrote:
> On Monday 28 April 2008 15:40:37 Fela Winkelmolen wrote:
> > It's quite some time I wanted to write this mail.. :) So here I am,
> > finally..
> >
> > Mostly it is a list of shortcomings and bugs of KScoreDialog:
> >
> > 1. There are internationalization issues of which I think Milliams is
> > taking care of..
>
> I'm doing my best, yes :)
>
> > 2. If the same instance of KScoreDialog is used (I create a new instance
> > every time the dialog is showed as that seems to work better) the caption
> > comment in the dialog isn't shown correctly. For example in KMines, the
> > capiton "Well Done...." will remain if press Show Highscore after having
> > won the game.
>
> I can see that using the same instance of KScoreDialog would cause this but
> I don't see how that would happen? Clicking "Show Highscore" will surely
> call a function which will create it's own KScoreDialog and then show it?
>
> Ah, sorry. Now I look at the KMines code I see that the dialog is saved as
> a member object of the mainwindow class. I hadn't really expected people to
> use it like that.

So either we need to make it work right this way, or fix all programs that use
the same KScoreDialog objects. I think the former is a better idea.

> > 3. Again when using always the same instance of KScoreDialog, there are
> > problems with the size of the dialog. To reproduce this try to show the
> > highscore list in KMines as soon as the app is running, and then win a
> > game. You will notice that the input area to enter the name will be too
> > small.
>
> Yes I can see that that could be a bug but again, the code had never
> accounted for people using the same KScoreDialog object.
>
> > 4. The last username used doesn't seem to be remembered at all..
> > (contrarily as to what the apidox says).
>
> Would it be possible for you to file a bug report for this issue?
> Particularly which application you see this in. Also if it still occurs
> after gnushi's patch yesterday.

I don't recall any game using KScoreDialog ever remembering the last name
used.. Can't you reproduce this?
After gnushi's patch it always uses my name regardless of what I used last
time.

> > 5. KScoreDialog::setComment() doen't seem to work... I added a comment
> > "You did not make it to the highscore list.. " when not making it in the
> > highscore list in KNetWalk, but it's never shown..
>
> Does it display nothing or one of the default messages?

It doesn't display anything, (there is no default message when no score is
added).

> > 6. It looks like scores <= 0 aren't supported.
>
> Possibly not, I'll look into it.
>
> > 7. Clicking on close while entering the user name discarts what is
> > written so far.. maybe there could be two buttons: Ok and Cancel.
>
> There's a bug report on this and I agree, I plan to add an 'Ok' button.

Only one button but also registering the name may also be an idea.. I mean,
why would one not want to register his highscore?? In the worst case one can
always leave the name empty...