[Kde-games-devel] Deprecating KGameCanvas

Luciano Montanaro mikelima at gmail.com
Sat Apr 19 18:06:34 CEST 2008

On Saturday 19 April 2008 09:30:08 Ian Wadham wrote:

> I would not recommend using OpenGL in 2-D mode, based on Kubrick
> experience.  Contrary to what somebody said, I think the OpenGL
> library is available with most distros and in Windows, but in Linux
> the hardware acceleration is not so widely available.

...and it does not work (for the time being, at least) on remote displays.
Well, it does, sort of, if you are happy with one refresh every couple of
seconds...

> Nevertheless,
> OpenGL seems to run rings around Qt, even in software emulation
> mode.

Are you sure? Mesa software fallbacks are quite slow. I tried playing kubrick
on a remote session, and it was not playable at all.

On a local display, of course the animation is very smooth.

> In Kubrick, 3 cubes 6x6x6, with 152 cubies each (it does not
> draw the interior ones) and each cubie with 26 facets, can be drawn
> for every 20 msec frame (that's about 600,000 facets per second).

Actually, there is space for improvement with remote display performance for
most games...

KGoldrunner is still slow, though it has improved, compared to the KDE 3
version. Other games looked slower than KDE 3 version, last time I checked...
If i recall correctly.

Luciano