[Kde-games-devel] Deprecating KGameCanvas

Mauricio Piacentini piacentini at kde.org
Sat Apr 19 16:16:16 CEST 2008

In practical terms, I am also not ready to convert KMahjongg away from
KGameCanvas any time soon, as it is working nicely. I actually think
KMahjongg will perform well with QGV, but I want to focus now on
different things (if it ain't broke, do not fix it!)
So it looks like KGameCanvas will stay with us for several years, maybe
until KDE5, as several games are using it. We know maintenance has been
minimal (close to non-existing really), and there are no known bugs with
the existing classes. So I think it is maybe too early to deprecate the
class, even if Maurizio is not working on it anymore. We are also
maintaining other classes that are used by very few games as a group, so
let us take it under our wings as well for the time being. It gives new
game authors options, I think, and the code is very isolated and clean
(one cpp and one h file only.)

Best regards,
Mauricio Piacentini