[Kde-games-devel] open issues katomic

Dmitry Suzdalev dimsuzkde at gmail.com
Tue Apr 15 10:03:35 CEST 2008

Hi guys!

GnuShi, thanks for investigating this issues!

On Tuesday 15 April 2008 01:35:49 Mauricio Piacentini wrote:
> IMO the mirrored molecules, while "correct" chemically, are not correct
> in the sense that this was not the answer that was asked for in the
> puzzle. In other words, KAtomic is a game, and the game is to complete
> the puzzle as presented. I do not think the added complexity justifies
> implementing this, but if you are willing to try it, why not?
Well, I just tend to say the same :)
When I saw that bug, I quickly took a look at sources to see if this is potentially
possible. GnuShi did more investigation and found that this adds complexity and is
not very trivial.
My opinion is the following: this might even confuse the user who has no chemical
background and knows nothing about isotopes and such - if he accidently assembles a
mirrored molecule he might end up thinking "WTF? Why I won the game with incorrect
molecule?"

So my suggestion is to set WONTFIX to this bug.
Objections?

> I do not have a opinion about the other issue, but duplicating some of
> the functionality that is in Kalzium does not seem wise (and will cause
> additional burden on translators that are used to game and not
> necessarily edu.) Maybe, a link to Kalzium would be great, if possible
> in some way. Kalzium will have (has?) a plasmoid IIRC from a recent
> blog, maybe we can add some link to it in a future release of KAtomic?

Strange that this bug is still open. I recall that I closed some similar bug once.
The thing is: Kalzium has 3D molecule view KPart planned. Me and Carsten (of Kalzium
fame) had a chat once and we agreed that once that KPart will be ready, I'll
investigate a possibility to add it to KAtomic.
Ah. Perhaps I left that bug open as a remainder for me to do this :)
I'll check later.

Btw, Mauricio, as you work with kdeedu too, maybe you already heard if this Kalzium
KPart is implemented? Asking just in case - if you don't know, I'll ask Carsten :)

Cheers,
Dmitry.