[Kde-games-devel] kAtomic, Bug 154756, Patch

Dmitry Suzdalev dimsuzkde at gmail.com
Wed Apr 9 10:20:37 CEST 2008

Hi Ian!

On Wednesday 09 April 2008 03:04:40 Ian Wadham wrote:
> Thank you too, Dmitry, for your patient explanations.  I have learned a
> lot from them.  One is never too old to learn ... ;-)
I glad that I appeared to be helpful :)

> Now why do some people write spaces after "(" and before ")" and no
> space before "(" ?  I'm just curious, not wishing to start anything.
Well, that seems just a personal preference. I picked this up after seening this used
in Qt and KDE (in some areas).
For me it just looks good - when expression arguments are separated from parens by
space. At the same time I don't like a space after function name. Seems like I've no
particular reason for that - it's just a matter of taste. I like
SLOT( somefunc( a + b + longvar * test_var ) )
more than
SLOT(somefunc(a+b+longvar*test_var))

I've analogy :) For me adding spaces makes the expression look like it's breathing
fresh air :)

> Being self-taught in C++ and infected with C, Fortran, COBOL and who
> knows what else, I have often wondered what the principle is in this case
> - hence the rather chaotic dependencies in KGoldrunner maybe ... :-(
> Thanks for the rule and the explanation, Dmitry.
You're welcome.
Most of this knowledge came to me from very good C++ books, namely Scott Meyers and
Herb Sutter.
Here are links to several very good ones by Herb:
http://www.gotw.ca/publications/c++cs.htm
http://www.gotw.ca/publications/xc++.htm
http://www.gotw.ca/publications/mxc++.htm

Cheers,