[Kde-games-devel] LSkat Online

Martin Heni kde at heni-online.de
Thu Apr 3 08:31:07 CEST 2008

> "looking a bit manually at frame rates" == ? ..
>
> and what sort of frame rates were you getting? the java version looks
> really poor next to the qt one as far as painting goes, but that's probably
> because, as you noted, it's painting everything over and over again.

I was also surprised by these findings. But I suspect that maybe my Java (1.6)
does some hardware accelleration by itself whilst my KDE does not.  On my
computer the Java version looks absolutely identical to the KDE version.

About the frames: I easly get frame rates of 50 FPS with the Java version (the
program limits them to max 50 fps) whilst I have problems getting 20 with
KDE/Qt. This is even more noticable with KWin4 when reflections (reflections
theme) are switched on, that is, it needs to repaint a large portion of the
screen. Then it drops to a handfull of frames per second.

From your post, I actually suspect that maybe your Java does not HW accelerate
whilst your Qt does - so the other way round than mine(?)
In case you are really interested(?) I made you a version which prints the FPS
debug information on screen
http://www.heni-online.de/java/lskatplaydebug.html
However, as stated before: I dont think this example should be overrated as
it was just a quick hack in a couple of days with no intention on graphics
analysis

On the other hand I thought if it looks cool, why not put it online and use it
as a teaser for our KDE games (ala use kdegames, there is more of such
games...)

Btw this post should not be any evaluation of "Java versus C++". ;-) So please
nobody comment on this. Both have advantages and disadvantages (e.g. look on
the Java memory usage...)