[Kde-games-devel] Re : Re : What to do for default theme for Kapman?

Matthew Woehlke mw_triad at users.sourceforge.net
Wed Apr 2 04:30:39 CEST 2008

Mauricio Piacentini wrote:
> What you should/could do is to add a directive to the theme, and mark
> the current ones as "whole maze" ones. In the future, you could
> introduce "tile-based maze" themes as an option, without breaking the
> existing ones. And everyone would be happy.

As I was telling Eugene on IRC, this is how my current version is
supposed to work (admittedly, I'm not testing the whole-maze svg,
but...). The idea is that it looks for a whole-maze svg first, and falls
back to tiles if it doesn't find one for the current maze. Some themes
might provide whole-maze svg's for some mazes, others (retro) won't
bother. For the two themes I've worked on (retro and classic-oxygen),
there's no point, as the result using tiles is what is desired anyway.

We also need a way to identify what maze an svg belongs to (I was
thinking about generating a checksum or something, or I guess you could
just add some sort of identifier in the maze xml), because I don't want
mazes to be tied to themes :-).

For the record, I consider making tiles and copy-pasting them to make a
whole maze svg a frustrating amount of work that shouldn't be needed :-).

> Notice that I am not saying tile-based is a bad idea, but I think the
> limited time you guys have right now could be spent better in areas of
> the app that the user/player will notice, and not in this implementation
> detail. And there is time for this until June, anyway.

...except that I already wrote most of it (walls work, I've decided it
would be good for corridors to be tiles also, so it became less-done);
see the e-mail I sent just before yours :-).

> The idea of having a Konqi one is great. It does not need to be complex
> or animated just yet, but kids would love it.

Eew, flying dragon that *isn't* animated? ;-)

--
Matthew
Yesterday, I thought of the best .sig that has ever been contemplated.