[Kde-games-devel] Re : Re : What to do for default theme for Kapman?

Matthew Woehlke mw_triad at users.sourceforge.net
Wed Apr 2 04:06:49 CEST 2008

Thomas Gallinari wrote:

Eep, what mailer are you using? It's messing up quotes and not threading
properly :-(.

>>> We'd like to finish all that stuff before supplying any otherchange... Our first goal is to make Kapman ready for 4.1 release, thenit will be "mature" for further features.
>
>> ...except that having the code in a state where others are comfortable
>> contributing will help *get* there. Especially if no one wants to make
>> whole-maze svg's ;-). Anyway, I will try to contact your team off-list
>> to discuss these thoughts further.
>
> I know what you think about a tile-based maze Matthew, but I'm now asking all the contributers to get more than one opinion, since it seems to be a huge improvement and an important feature :
> Is a tile-based maze essential for Kapman ? If it is, is it so urgent, should we make it immediately or can we wait for a while ?
> I'd really like to know since we have to plan our development until june...

Well... I have it about 80% done already :-). And I'd be more than happy
to finish it, so really it's a question of reviewing patches and if said
patches can be accepted. (The "80%" is because after talking with
Eugene, I'm pretty well decided that corridors should be tilable as
well, which I hadn't initially planned on. But the hard parts are done.)

Personally, my highest priority is to get the stuff I have ready for
review before any major changes happen. In general I agree with your
priorities, except that I think we need a pixmap cache pretty urgently
(theming really can't happen until animation is practical). Code-wise, I
think your biggest time sinks are going to be that, and theming support.
The AI difficulty is a one-night fix if you take the easiest way, and
the other two issues (art and documentation) don't affect the code.

Btw, I did a write-up regarding theming, and how to tell the game engine
some needed parameters regarding the graphics; not "final" stuff, just
my own thoughts on what I'd like to be able to tweak from an art
perspective. Should I post it here or send it to you off-list first?

--
Matthew
Yesterday, I thought of the best .sig that has ever been contemplated.