[Kde-games-devel] Fwd: Re: SVG Rendering speed

Ian Wadham ianw2 at optusnet.com.au
Sun Sep 30 01:33:10 CEST 2007

On Sat, 29 Sep 2007 07:45 pm, Luciano Montanaro wrote:
> Il Saturday 29 September 2007 03:57:46 Ian Wadham ha scritto:
> > Re KShisen ...
> > With QT_FLUSH_PAINT=1 I get *three* full-window flashes every time
> > I make a move - in different colors.
>
> Can you try the patch in the attachment? It brings down the flashes to two
> for me. I can't see any problems, but I have not tested extensively.
> I think we can tweak it some more to update smaller portions of the screen,
> if it is needed.

Yes, the patch gives me two flashes, rather than three.  Also, in normal play,
with no QT_FLUSH_PAINT, the response time is greatly improved.

I'm timing the response by counting slowly under my breath, with "one" being
as I click the second piece.  Without your patch, I get to "three" and with it
I get to "two", so the response time for a move has halved.  I estimate it has
gone from just under two seconds to just under one second.  Subjectively,
for me, that is a change from "irritating" to "bearable".  It is not that two
seconds is bad on its own, but that two seconds on *every* move is bad.
Good work, Luciano!

Cheers, Ian W.