[Kde-games-devel] Fwd: Re: SVG Rendering speed

Mauricio Piacentini mauricio at tabuleiro.com
Thu Sep 20 20:14:43 CEST 2007

Andreas Pakulat wrote:
> Its KNetWalk were it takes several seconds (I didn't measure but I think
> its something like 20 or so) until the highscore dialog comes up after
> finishing the game.

Andreas, I am not sure why you are getting times that extreme, as the
hardware you mentioned is not much slower compared to what I use. The
highscores in KNetwalk are indeed in need of an overhaul. This is listed
as a blocker issue for KDE 4.0 at our status page:

http://techbase.kde.org/Projects/Games/Status_KDE_4.0

But in my setup, even without any hardware acceleration and running on a
VMWare instance, it shows up in maybe 2-3 seconds after the end game.
Others show up instantly, but the delays you are getting are indeed extreme.
The same is true for your initial SVG rendering times. Can you tell me
how much does it take to startup KMahjongg? Actually, to measure just
SVG resizing, try the following: startup KMahjongg, set the window to
cover maybe 1/4 of the screen. Now maximize the window. How much time
does it take for this full redraw?

Guys, KNetwalk is still in very bad shape imo. Pipes do not connect
properly, scaling ratio is not maintained, frozen pipes do not show up,
and theme selection is not implemented. I really think we should examine
carefully the decision about including it in 4.0, before RC1... There
are so many non-optimal components that will be in 4.0, we should
probably avoid including non-essential stuff that we know is not working
as it should. Any thoughts on this?

Regards,
Mauricio Piacentini