[Kde-games-devel] i18n issue with Move menu

Burkhard Lück lueck at hube-lueck.de
Thu Oct 18 17:40:29 CEST 2007

Hi,

14 kdegames have an menu "Move", but 11 of them show the wrong translation
from kdelibs4.po or kdeqt.po.

In german as in a lot of other languages "Move" for games (in de "Zug") needs
another translation than the "Move" from kdelibs4.po or kdeqt.po (in
de "Verschieben").

So all kdegames with a "Move" menu need to have a msgid "Move" in their po
file (catalog), which overrides the default translation from  kdelibs4.po or
kdeqt.po.
This is another beast than the check with the x-test language. x-test only
indicates, that the messages are translatable, not if the correct
translations are pulled in.

For kbackgammon, kmahjongg and ksudoku the translation of "Move" is ok, the
message catalogs have a message "Move" from *ui.rc files.

bovo, katomic, kblackbox, kgoldrunner, kpat, ksame, kwin4 and kreversi show
the wrong translation from kdelibs4.po or kdeqt.po, because they have no
message "Move" in their catalogs.

kjumpingcube, klines and kshisen also show the wrong translation of "Move",
even if they have a message "Move" in their catalogs (via static const char
dummy[] = I18N_NOOP2("Menu title", "&Move");).
There is a comment ("// A hack to circumvent tricky i18n issue...") above the
I18N_NOOP2 macros, but I don't understand it.
I guess the message in the macro should not have a context.

Burkhard Lück