[Kde-games-devel] KNetWalk

Mauricio Piacentini piacentini at kde.org
Mon Oct 8 04:12:39 CEST 2007

> Well, this can work, but isn't it wasteful of resources?

I don't think it makes a huge difference, since the pixmaps created are
usually temporary (in RAM), and discarded after they are painted in the
widget, IIRC. It could have some impact but I do not think it is measurable.

> This basically means two screen-sized pixmaps, instead of one.
> Another approache could be to have a center section and 8 border section; the
> center section would have fixed proprtions, the others would allow stretching
> to fit the window.
> Ascii art diagram:
>
> +----+------------------------+----+
> | 0  | 1                      | 2  |
> +----+------------------------+----+
> | 3  | 4                      | 5  |
> |    |                        |    |
> |    |                        |    |
> +----+------------------------+----+
> | 6  | 7                      | 8  |
> +----+------------------------+----+
>
> The section named "4" would keep its aspect ratio. The rest would stretch to
> fit.

While nice, I think this adds unnecessary complexity to the artist, with
little benefit. This scheme makes it almost impossible to have a
continuous gradient for example that is behind the whole background,
since the center portion and the surrounding rectangles would have
different stretching ratios. It could work for some simpler scenarios,
but continuous gradients and overlays would fail, and this is something
very common in our Oxygen themes.

Regards,
Mauricio