[Kde-games-devel] Meeting results and todo items

Mauricio Piacentini mauricio at tabuleiro.com
Wed Oct 3 14:35:32 CEST 2007

Ian Wadham wrote:
> One that sticks out is the Hint icon, or lack of it.  Should be a light bulb
> or something like that.  Could someone check if any other standard
> game actions need icons?  (KStandardGameAction)

As soon as Johann puts up the techbase icon table we should probably add
all KStandardGameActions to it (libkdegames.) I can do it.

>> e) Game maintainers and games to be released with 4.0. Not all games
>> currently in kdegames are guaranteed to be part of the 4.0 and survive
>> the beta/RC cycle. Specifically, games need to be active maintained in
>> order to remain in the main SVN module. By actively maintained, we
>> agreed that all items in the Game Status page need to be cleared in two
>> to four weeks, including documentation and other todo items ...
>>
> How serious are you about the criteria in the Game Status page?  Should
> *all* criteria apply to *all* games - else - into the bin?

No, some of the criteria really do not apply to all games. And
maintainers have the final decision power imo: if a maintainer believes
for some reason that KScoreDialog or KGameDifficulty (for example) are
not appropriate for his/her game, and has good reasons for it, then it
should be OK.
This is different from games that have been quickly ported from KDE3 and
have been lingering around in the tree, and have not implemented some
basic stuff like SVG and themes. I do not think we have many like this.

> KJumpingCube, for example, has no keyboard play, nor do I see how that
> might work, without being extremely clunky.  Likewise, it has no Redo and
> only a one-level Undo.  There can be cascading "automatic" moves after
> you make a move, so the game just saves and restores the whole board,
> giving a one-level Undo.
>
> KGameDifficulty is not in KJC and I do not recall what it is exactly.  The way
> is *almost* open for Themeable, but I just do not have time to work on it
> until KDE 4.1.  Finally, for Multi-player and Network, somebody (not me) has
> written "Yes and no".  What does *that* mean?  Is there work to do?

A quick glance at KJC shows that it is indeed a good candidate for
having KGameDifficulty implemented, as the current configuration dialog
already has three difficulties. As for the KGameTheme, currently you
have color configuration, so maybe this can wait for 4.1.
If someone has timefor this, KGameDifficulty can get in before 4.0, it
should be a 2-3 hour job. But I do not consider it a show stopper.

>> Do you think it is in excellent shape, and ready to survive what could
>> be maybe a 4-5 year release cycle, during the whole 4.x series, without
>> heavy maintenance?
>>
> Yes, I think KJumpingCube is in excellent shape and ready to survive
> what could be maybe a 4-5 year release cycle without heavy maintenance.
> The question is whether I am ... I shall be 70 next year ... but I am not sick
> or anything ... :-D :-D

Oh, you will probably be around for KDE 20, nearly your 100th birthday.
Do not worry :)

Regards,
Mauricio Piacentini