[Kde-games-devel] Bug in KReversi

Dennis P dennis_p at fastmail.fm
Thu Nov 29 19:51:45 CET 2007

Bug in KReversi found during testing the previous beta of KDE4.
Kreversi is a turn based game like chess. You place a piece, the board
changes. The computer places a piece and the board changes again.
Bug: These 2 changes however run in one go because the AI is very fast, at
worst the board changes three times around and afterwards an animated
notification appears that the computer will place the next piece as you, the
user, has no legal placement option. But the placement and the changes have
already happened and you are left wondering 'what happened and did the
computer make legal moves?'.

Solution
Along with the AI a timer should run. I suggest 1 second. When the AI is
instantaneously fast (like always in this awesomely well made application)
there will still be a one second 'computer thinks his move' time.

Result
User thinks for a while and places a piece, the board changes.

1 second timer or slower AI: User thinks 'Oh no, why did I do that. Look at
the current state of the board, the cpu has so many great options I hope he
doesn't place its piece there.'

Computer places piece, the board changes.

User thinks for a while and places a piece, the board changes.

1 second timer or slower AI: User thinks 'Uh'

Computer places piece, the board changes.

The animated notification appears while the 1 second timer runs or slower AI
is busy: User thinks 'Oh, crap'

Computer places another piece, the board changes again.

User thinks for a while and places a piece, the board changes.
...etcetra...

See, now the game runs like a strategic turn based game, which it is.

Thanks,
Dennis