[Kde-games-devel] Fwd: KDE/kdegames/katomic

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Thu May 31 12:46:59 CEST 2007

(i just re-sub'd to kde-games-devel which i wasn't sub'd to for a while.. but
now i have a reason to be here so .. here i am ;)

On Thursday 31 May 2007, you wrote:
> [...]

=)

i'll be meeting up with kde-edu people @ akademy to discuss a bunch of these
related issues. i'd like to invite kde-games team members to join us.. we
don't have a firm date/time yet, but it will likely be either monday or
wednesday at this point.

> For each theme there is a *.desktop file, one of which is called
> default.desktop (the default theme for new players).  Mauricio chose
> the *.desktop format because:

we're using .desktop files as well. of course, in plasma we have more than
visual themes we also have entire mini-programs that include scripts (js,
ruby or python) and random bits of data (though the latter can for these
purposes be considered similar to image data). we're using KPluginInfo as our
template for the .desktop file entries for the applet bits.

we (plasma) should adopt the same key names as you guys for things like the
preview.

perhaps the kdegame theme .desktop entries could also be made a bit
more "standard" (i use that term loosely in this context) for things like the
author name, email, etc.. see:

http://api.kde.org/4.0-api/kdelibs-apidocs/kdecore/html/classKPluginInfo.html

we're also bundling up all the files into little packages for transport
purposes. on disk they'll probably be expanded, though we're not 100% sure on
that yet either (it's often more efficient to read a bunch of little files
out of an uncompressed archive than a each one separately from the
filesystem). this is a separate issue from the .desktop file handling, but
probably should be thought about.

> Mauricio has added classes KGameTheme and KGameThemeSelector
> to libkdegames.  The first is to find, load and decode a theme.  The
> second is to drive a theme-selection page in KConfigDialog.

hm.. i'll have to take a look at these classes indeed. we have dialogs for
this from kicker (and superkaramba, which is based on the one from kicker).
it probably makes sense from a user experience POV to harmonize all these
visually and work flow wise...

we'll also be using the new GetHotNewStuff2 dialog for downloading themes and
something called "plasmagik" for the packages, but that won't be in kdelibs
until 4.1 due to it missing the libs cut off. we'll be giving it a temporary
home in libplasma until then.

the plugin selector is already in kdelibs; perhaps we could make it a goal to
get all these things together in kdelibs for a truly unified way of providing
this functionality in all kde apps. it seems more and more of us are needing
this functionality. have some of the pieces in libkdegames and libplasma for
4.0 will certainly help prove (and improve =) these classes before they get
launched onto the rest of the world.

> > user data customization really isn't appropriate for techbase which is
> > for software development, systems admin and eventually sys integration;
> > wiki.k.o might be a decent starting place though it's harder to raise
> > visibility of stuff there. techbase has been great for organizing content
> > and making it easily visible.
> >
> > a wiki specifically for this purpose just seems .. "right" ...
>
> May I suggest that the KDE main page and the KDE Look main page
> include a "plug" and a link for wherever this wiki ends up, so that
> interested artists can easily come across it.

completely agreed.

> I'd also suggest that
> there be overviews on how it works, followed by details on how to
> theme each game, EDU package or plasma desktop.

that would be the goal, indeed.

> I would also like to help with the writing, if you need me.

we'll need everyone we can get... if we divide up the work amongst all of us,
we may be able to do it pretty quickly.

> > > README's I commited were the effort to have at least _some_
> > > instructions for theme makers.
> >
> > which is great; documentation is next to godliness, or something like
> > that
>
> Amen to that.  We agree on something, Aaron ... :-)

*pops the champagne* =)

> BTW, congratulations to you and everyone on Techbase.  It is coming
> along nicely.  I have learned such a lot from it in the last few weeks.

it's still a work in progress, but yeah, i'm quite happy with how it is
shaping up ...

btw, if anyone is so motivated ... adding tutorials on how to use things in
libkdegames or other kde game development related topics is -more- that
welcome on techbase.

--
Aaron J. Seigo
humru othro a kohnu se