[Kde-games-devel] Revived KJumpingCube

Mauricio Piacentini mauricio at tabuleiro.com
Mon May 28 16:38:59 CEST 2007

Ian Wadham wrote:
>> Hoping we can rescue KJumpingCube for KDE 4.0, Ian W.
>>
> So, is it OK to move KJumpingCube back into KDE Games
> trunk?

Since no one answered, I will add my opinion about it, based on what I
understood was decided in the last meeting, pre-freeze. Results were
nicely summarized by Albert in a dot article at

http://dot.kde.org/1178370429/

In this meeting each individual application was analyzed and people
present voted on its status, if it was ready for KDE4 or not, and what
to do. Some applications (like ktuberling and ksirtet) were given a
"last minute call for KDE4" status, and were kept in the main module, as
people volunteered to guarantee they would be up to the level required
by aKademy.
The ones moved to playground (or the ones that were already in
playground) had until May 8th to be improved and moved to kdereview, in
order to be considered for the KDE 4.0 release. From this point on,
applications could still be rescued, but only for KDE 4.1. This followed
the global kde release team policy for application/module freeze.
KJumpingCube was also analyzed and discussed, and at that time the
general feeling is that it was unmaintained for the past couple of
years, an almost automatic condition for it to be moved to playground
until someone decided to do real work on it (svg, etc.) The low score of
KJumpingCube in the kde games survey was also used as one of the reasons
for it to be moved, as it seemed that there was not enough user and
developer interest on updating it.
So I think it is great that you stepped up and is SVG-zing it, and
improving it generally. But in order to follow the policies it would
have to be moved to kdereview, stay there 2 weeks minimum, and then be
considered for inclusion back in the kdegames module. So it would be a
KDE 4.1 comeback, probably the first one, and hopefully not the last.
Johann, others, please correct me if my understanding of the situation
is not clear!

Regards,
Mauricio Piacentini