[Kde-games-devel] GGZ / KDE games multiplayer

Josef Spillner spillner at kde.org
Tue May 22 07:50:13 CEST 2007

Ahoi,

On Monday 21 May 2007 13:13:13 Nicholas Robbins wrote:
> > The "slowly" is the unforunate part here. I admit I spent more time
> > painting the walls of my new flat than coding during the last weekends :)
> > As it looks like, KReversi can be finished in time but I'm not sure about
> > the others. Volunteers wanted, I can help but I cannot do all the coding.
>
> I'd like to volunteer for this.   Sounds fun.

Good. Which game should we pick beside KReversi? Andreas mentioned KWin4.
Given that we already have a simple KConnectX client in GGZ (that's a
different name for the same game), it should be an easy target and we can
replace KConnectX, which is only a test game anyway.
KConnectX is shipped as part of GGZ 0.0.14 in the KDE 3 version. Afterwards it
was ported to KDE 4 by dimsuz and myself. You can find it at:
svn://svn.ggzgamingzone.org/svn/trunk/playground/ggz-kde4/kconnectx

You can rip out many parts of the protocol handling and implement them into
KWin4. Of course, you can also select another game for which a server already
exists, or even write a server by yourself. I should mention that there is
a "kggzdmod" implementation available now for KDE 4 in the same playground as
above, but IIRC it's not ready yet. This library makes it easy to write KDE
game servers and share code between server and client. To compile it (with
qmake), you'll need the devel package of ggzdmod, e.g. libggzdmod-dev.

Josef