[Kde-games-devel] integration between teg.sf.net and the kde risk game

Kleag kleag at free.fr
Wed May 16 18:40:19 CEST 2007

Hello Caio,

Sorry for the long delay before this reply. I was in a hurry trying to make
KsirK ready for inclusion into KDE4.0. This time has passed so I can now
quietly replys to your mail.

Le mardi 10 avril 2007, Caio Begotti a écrit :
> On 06/04/2007, at 19:34, Kleag wrote:
> > Hello,
>
> Kleag,
>
> > Yes, some integration with teg is an old goal for me too. In fact,
> > at the end
> > of the KsirK TODO file, there was during a long time an entry about
> > KsirK
> > becoming a TEG client.
>
> It'd be awesome and would simplify things a lot, but maybe it also
> would get somehow blocked by the current TEG's development pace.
Is TEG developers still active, at least for basic maintening ?

> > This could still be feasible but with probably major
> > changes in KsirK. The two games have really different gameplays.
> > Particularly, KsirK is more oriented toward a kind of "Virtual
> > Reality": you
> > see the pieces instead of numbers, you drag and drop to show the
> > fighting
> > countries like you would move pieces on the real board, etc. So,
> > there is
> > mainly more sprites in a KsirK skin.
>
> I don't know whether it's a big deal or not, but we could work around
> this by, oh, adding new sprites to TEG :-)
Well, adding new sprites to TEG would probably be a makor change in code and
in gameplay. But if it is interesting TEG people, why not :-)

> > I just looked at a few teg themes (yours is beautiful Caio)
>
> Thank you!
>
> > there is clearly a lot of data that could be easily transfered to a
> > KsirK skin.
>
> Could you guide me on this or point me some URL or documents
> regarding how I could port TEG themes to KsirK? I'd like to give it a
> try, but I have no clue where to start from.
At http://home.gna.org/ksirk/ksirk-kde-documentation/skins.html, you will find
a (somewhat outdated) documentation on skins writing. After reading that, you
should look at the default skin data to compare with what you just read and
see the difference :-) The main difference is that now, all images are SVG
instead of PNG, apart from the map-mask.png file. Also, instead of
Makefile.am files, there is a CMakeLists.txt
Finaly, the easier way to create a skin is to copy the main one and modify the
copy.
If you have any question, please ask !

> > But currently the main problem is that the KDE4 version of KsirK uses
> > exclusively SVG graphics. I think that it should probably (in a future
> > version) support both SVG and PNG graphics.
>
> It's ok to have only SVN maps available. I've started working on a
> world map for Ksupremacy some time ago (which used to be a pet
> project of a friend of mine similar to the old Supremacy board game)
> and I'm willing to work on it again. I don't find it that hard to
> port my map to SVG.
>
> The SVN warm-up: http://caio.ueberalles.net/wip/kpremacy.{png,svg}
> Supremacy: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/27
Great. It would be funny to have a skin based on this map, with probably very
geometric (or in the contrary very round) sprites.

> > - convert the teg them XML to the ksirk skin XML
>
> Where I can find up to date examples/samples or any documentation
> about it?
I also creatted a Perl script to do the first parts of the JRisk skins
convertion. It's in the skins directory of the KsirK sources.

> Maybe Mauricio would like to comment on this as well?
>
> Cheers from Brazil,
Cheers from France :-)

Kleag

> <http://caio.ueberalles.net>
> <http://caio.alfanumerico.net>

KsirK - a turn-based strategy game for KDE
http://gna.org/projects/ksirk

KGraphViewer - a GraphViz dot graphs viewer
http://extragear.kde.org/apps/kgraphviewer