[Kde-games-devel] ksokoban

Albert Astals Cid aacid at kde.org
Sun May 13 23:01:04 CEST 2007

A Diumenge 13 Maig 2007, Scott MacDonald va escriure:
> Hey guys,

Hey, why are you hijacking kjewled thread???

Please, next time start a new thread instead of replying to one message that
has nothing to do with yours and changing the subject.

> I've been looking through the codebase, and well... its interesting. As far
> as I can tell, KSokoban was developed for KDE2, and somehow ported to KDE3.
> The real concern I'm having is how ungainly the code "feels", since I've
> noticed the following
>
>  - all rendering is done through some sort of HTML subsytem (divs and img
> are sprinkled liberally through the code base)
>  - many custom classes were made where Qt should suffice, such as the move
> queue.

Most of kdegames had this "problem", wrote long time ago and with some small
porting in between.

> I'm sorely tempted to overhaul everything in the code base, except for the
> level loader (which seems to be decent). I know normally this looked at as
> a big no-no, but at this point porting to KDE4 would be pointless.
> Animations, SVG support would be best suited if we rewrote the rendering
> portion of the program from the ground up, using the canvas.
>
> Again, its summer break.... so I'm more than willing to take this on as a
> fun way of learning programming for KDE. The sokoban game itself is fairly
> trival to write, though the display may be more time consuming.
>
> Also, if this goes ahead, can I get commit access? I mean, I _could_ submit
> a patch, but if we go ahead the amount of code unchanged would be tiny.

As i said to Vic everyone is entitled to have commit access if understands the
rules, same answer to him applies to you.

> Thoughts?

Welcome :-)

Albert