[Kde-games-devel] Theming support

Johann Ollivier Lapeyre johann.ollivierlapeyre at gmail.com
Fri Mar 16 17:42:02 CET 2007

- look for all theme files in the standard directory with KStandardDirs
> and add a menu entry in a sub-menu "Themes" of the menu "Settings" for
> each theme found.
> - Add a menu entry "Select custom theme..." that opens the standard "open
> file" KDE dialog.

You can see what kopete done. There are a theme list, preview, "Select
custom theme", and  the getHotNewStuff. There are maybe some code to stole
here, even if  things are changing  a little bit with getHotNewStuff2

On kopete, the preview is calculated (easy to do for kopete style), but it
could be  harder for game. Maybe a picture with a spécific could be joined?

3. Anyway, we should try to "keep it smart & simple" for KDE 4.0 because
> time is running and we are not finished yet. So I think I won't work on
> this topic right now...

Yes. There are also the SVG port and the usabilities issues to fix. Couldn't
the style switcher wait for 4.1 (around 6 months after)? Or can we really do
everything?

4. To make it easy to share and manage themes, I think we need to have
> "ONE theme" = "ONE file". For this, we could:
> - extend the SVG file format (not easy and with drawbacks)
> - ZIP (or TAR or wahtever...) the KConfig file ".desktop" together with
> the SVG file in ONE "KDE Game Theme" file. May be the best approach.

In any case, we must have 1 file (kde-look only allow that). But there was
an issue with
 getHotNewStuff from kde 3.5, files can't be properly deleted after install.
I hope it is fixed with  getHotNewStuff2.

5. Other point: If we share some backgrounds between several games, why
> not put them in libkdegames?

Because backgrounds will not be shared (backgrounds and tites must fit well
toghether). Game  geometry  (height/width ratio) are not even  the same
between  game.