[Kde-games-devel] Size grips

Ian Wadham ianw2 at optusnet.com.au
Thu Jun 21 13:44:01 CEST 2007

On Thu, 21 Jun 2007 07:40 pm, Luciano Montanaro wrote:
> Hi all. I'm not subscibed to the list, though I read it occasionally.

Hi, Luciano, and welcome.  What list are you usually on?  Or
where in KDE are you from?

> I'm not fond of the idea of having the size grip in-window, basically
> because that's normally handled by the window manager (and because
> it looks awful :-P).

That's your opinion, but I think the size-grip widget looks OK and certainly
no worse than the buttons at the right of every title-bar.  However this is a
discussion about functionality.  It is not easy (for me) to hit the precise
spot in the window border for resizing (using Plastik style).  Others
have said they find a size grip easier to hit.

> Anyway, if the consensus is that we want the size grip, I think it should
> not be handled per application; either we enable it (in KApplication?)
> everywhere, or we do not.

I think Aaron's idea is for us to "experiment" with size grips in KDE Games,
then maybe we go for a universal KDE approach if the experiment works
out OK.  It's just one line of code that adds it to a status bar, so not a
large investment of development effort.

> I still hope this could be offered as a configuration (maybe in the style
> preferences?) option. It may be useful to enable it, if "other" desktop
> environments do so too.

Absolutely.  I certainly believe people who no longer have the clear
eyesight and excellent eye-hand co-ordination they had in their 20s
(and that would be nearly everybody over 35) should have some
such option available.

> By the way, the Oxygen window decoration seem to have large enough
> resize grips. So I'm not sure this feature is really needed.

Now there you have the advantage.  Where can we see a screenshot
or mockup of this window decoration and judge for ourselves?

Cheers, Ian W.