[Kde-games-devel] KDE development

Josef Spillner spillner at kde.org
Wed Jun 6 14:28:50 CEST 2007

On Wednesday 06 June 2007 13:48:20 Scott MacDonald wrote:
> I've been seeing references to CMake, and other various sources.

I don't think there are any books on KDE 4 development already.
Most people use documentation from KDE wikis (like techbase.kde.org) or the
plain sources. A lot of C++ API changes happen frequently, and you need to be
prepared to stay up to date and update your KDE SVN installation from time to
time.
Qt 4 has been out for quite some time already, while KDE 4 is everything but
mature at this point. Fortunately, there are people on this list and on IRC
(#kde-games-devel) who might help you with specific problems.

Some apps such as Marble in KDE-Edu exist in two versions, for Qt-only and for
KDE. This will always provide a safe fallback, but increase the code clutter
and maintenance work dramatically. It's better to look at what you really
need from kdelibs and kdegames-libs first. If it's only the look&feel of the
menus, then replacing Q* classes by K* classes is often sufficient already.

> Also, for artwork... we're supposed to contact kde-artists, right?

Yes, although they don't magically produce icons by the snip of a finger, and
sometimes not at all. What they will certainly need is a runnable version of
your app so they can see the graphics in place.

Josef