[Kde-games-devel] KSame and Klickety [was Re: Hello]

Alan Horkan horkana at maths.tcd.ie
Sun Jan 28 14:17:20 CET 2007

Changing the subject line since we've already changed the subject

On Sat, 27 Jan 2007, Henrique Pinto wrote:

> Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2007 14:49:23 -0200
> From: Henrique Pinto <henrique.pinto at kdemail.net>
> To: KDE games development <kde-games-devel at kde.org>
> Subject: Re: [Kde-games-devel] Hello
>
> On Sat 27 Jan 2007 14:32, Mauricio Piacentini wrote:
> > I personally think that klickety
> > still has better feedback for the user if compared with ksame (the
> > pieces fall in klickety, as opposed to simply disappearing.)
>
> Well, I still plan to add better feedback to KSame -- it's easy, actually,

I've always thought it would be nice to have a theme for KSame that fully
blocked out the background to begin with and then gradually revealed it as
blocks are cleared.  (KDE ships with a generous selection of wallpapers
and the game could rotate through them or a folder of images specified by
the user.)

> but I'd like to do some "architectural" changes to have the code in better
> shape too --, I'm just a little bit short of free time right now (all of my
> free time is currently being spent in practicing for Google Code Jam Latin
> America). If one of the two has to be removed, I'd prefer to see klickety
> go.

If you have access to a windows machine (or Wine, and any developer worthy
of the name should do for occasional comparisons) take a look at
Clickomania, which is a shareware game in the same vein as Klickety.
These games go a little further than same game and include special blocks
suck as rocks/dead blocks which cannot be cleared except with the help of
other special blocks, bombs (clears surrounding squares), and rockets
(clears a horizontal or vertical line).  Clickomania also includes a
continuous play mode, where new blocks are dropped in from above until the
whole board is full and play can no longer continue.  I wouldnt be
surprised if there more variations out there (a 2 player game seems
possible) and although klickety is great fun I was a little disappointed
when development stopped where it did.  I'd definately be among those who
consider KSame and Klicket different enough, they have the potential to be
more different than some of the Tetris variations KDE games includes.

Sincerely

Alan Horkan

http://advogato.org/person/AlanHorkan/
http://www.linkedin.com/in/alanhorkan