[Kde-games-devel] KsirK ready for kdegames ?

Kleag kleag at free.fr
Sun Jan 14 22:39:06 CET 2007

Hello,

The last step of porting KsirK to KDE4 is now finished. It is probably ready
for inclusion in kdegames, if the following are the exact conditions:
- working game : OK
- with minimum doc : OK (full but to be updated and proof read)
- all i18n : OK (already a few translations done)
- KDE3/QT3 API free : OK (except a dependency in libkdegames)
- GraphicsView framework : OK
- SVG graphics : OK (well, there is still a lot of work for johann_ol or
others :-) but the code is there !) except for icons
- API documentation : YES, but to be completed and updated

- GUI conformance to KDE rules:
  * KsirK is toolbars only (no menu). Well, this is a game with its own
    personality. This is what makes it different from other Risk games and
from other KDE games, between other things. But I agree that access to help
and manual should be better.
  * Citing
http://maupiacentini.blogspot.com/2006/11/first-kdegames-monthly-irc-meeting.html: "There
was discussion on the issue of using custom widgets for games. The general
consensus was that we do not want to create a new widget set just for games,
and will generally use what KDE offers in terms of dialog boxes, toolbars and
other widgets."
  Again, the special KsirK icons for "New Game", etc. make its identity. I
suppose the general rule can be locally ignored if there is good reasons ?

There is still some things to solve
- Network games do not start very well
- flag in player setup dialog is wrongly displayed

There is also probably a few bugs but there is a long time before the release
of KDE4 and so they will be corrected at this time.

What do you think about the inclusion of KsirK now ?

Regards,

Kleag

P.S.: if you want to try the KDE4 version of KsirK, download the SVN trunk
here: "svn co svn://svn.gna.org/svn/ksirk/trunk ksirk"

--
KsirK - a turn-based strategy game for KDE
http://gna.org/projects/ksirk

KGraphViewer - a GraphViz dot graphs viewer
http://extragear.kde.org/apps/kgraphviewer