[Kde-games-devel] Module policy for kdegames4

Mauricio Piacentini mauricio at tabuleiro.com
Fri Feb 2 02:52:42 CET 2007

> Hang on guys!  Not so fast ... :-)  Have a look through kstandardgameaction.h
> and kstandardgameaction.cpp.  You will find "Choose Game &Type" there: also
> several other standard game actions that have come in since some of our
> games were last "renovated", such as "&Hint" and "&Solve".

"Choose game type" could be good. But if you look at the current scheme
(Open Layout), it shares some of the same issues, which can maybe be
solved depending on the implementation. Currently you choose a game type
(layout), and then the game has to warn the user that the selection will
only be applied when the next game is started (not ideal). Or the game
could ask the user if he/she wants to start a new game immediately. In
both cases you would get an extra dialog box or warning, which is
exactly what I am trying to avoid.

In my opinion, it would be best to have a NEW GAME (or START NEW GAME
TYPE, or NEW BOARD) item where you choose the game board, and the game
is then started without further warnings. This does not replace the
functionality of the current NEW GAME item, which would still be present
in some form (I considered NEW QUICK GAME, but maybe there are better
names?)

Anyway, this thread has given me some ideas. I do not like the NEW GAME
... form, it does not make much sense for me, at least I would not know
immediately the difference between this and the normal NEW GAME item.

But maybe we could have two actions:
New Game -> immediately starts a new game using the current board
New Board (or New Game Type) -> prompts for a layout and immediately
starts a new game replacing the current one.

Got to work on this a little bit, I think it depends on how the layout
selection is implemented as well.

Regards,
Mauricio Piacentini