[Kde-games-devel] A simple svg optimizer

Mauricio Piacentini piacentini at kde.org
Wed Dec 19 21:33:08 CET 2007

Eugene Trounev wrote:
> This is great! I was thinking about compressing all the files into SVGZ
> before, but this is even better! Can we have it added right into the
> installation process? Would be cool! Is it possible to get it in before 4.0?

I do not think we should consider adding anything new at this point,
unless it solves bugs. 4.0 is locked.

The svg optimizer looks like a good idea at the installation phase for
Linux, but at the same time... let us play devil's advocate here.

Loosing the Inkscape/sodipodi entities gives us a 10% gain on disk, but
possibly makes it more difficult for possible contributors to help us,
right? I mean: we would be then working with two sets of files: one
would be the "official" SVN art, and the other would be the "stripped"
one installed on-disk. Are the savings really worth it? We would be
losing layer names, for example, and other stuff that could be useful to
reintegrate contributions into the original source files. In my mind,
compressing to svgz results in MUCH greater savings on disk, with no
side effects on editability. If we are thinking about saving disk space,
then using svgz in all cases is the way to go, not stripping the svg, imo.

Also, the performance will not increase, right? At least not in any
measurable way, as the bulk of time is spent on rendering the curves,
and blitting to the screen. In other words, it is something we should
consider for 4.1, but I do not see a clear benefit in having this (two
sets of SVGs), and I see some possible pitfalls. Maybe I am not seeing
the whole picture?

Regards,
Mauricio Piacentini