[Kde-games-devel] Radiobuttons instead of Checkboxes for card dialog

Mauricio Piacentini piacentini at kde.org
Fri Dec 7 18:45:38 CET 2007

Andreas Pakulat wrote:
> Hi,
>
> currently the card dialog uses 2 checkboxes to let the user select
> wether he wants to see only png or only svg decks. However the
> checkboxes actually implement radio-button logic, that is when both are
> selected, one of them gets unselected. This causes flicker and also is a
> bit strange to the user - IMO.
>
> Would it be possible to change that to 3 radio buttons, labelled
> svg-only, png-only, both? That would make the whole thing a bit more
> clear.

Well, I do not think adding yet another option for this setting would
help. IMO it would just create more confusion. :)

> Again I'd like to say that I didn't follow the lengthy discussion that
> existed around this dialog. So if there is an earlier decision on this,
> I'd appreciate a pointer to that part of the thread.

To me, the current approach is a bit strange. To the user, the terms
"scalable" or "fixed size" do not make much sense, since all cards scale
anyway in code. Some just look bad, that is all :) My mom is a KPat
user, and these options would just confuse her.

I would use (for 4.1, due to string freeze) a single checkbox, labeled
something like: "Show old card decks" or "Show legacy card decks" or
"Show classic card decks" or "Show KDE3 card decks". We can vote on
which is better. When this is enabled, both png and svg would be shown.
With this off, only svg would be displayed (the default setting imo.) I
do not see a user case for having just the old ones (png), do you? And
we are pushing for future usage of SVG only in games, so in the future
we would probably be able to redo the current png ones maybe, and get
rid of this option.

Regards,
Mauricio Piacentini