[Kde-games-devel] KGoldrunner

Ian Wadham ianw2 at optusnet.com.au
Fri Aug 10 00:29:02 CEST 2007

On Fri, 10 Aug 2007 04:38 am, Luciano Montanaro wrote:
> The problem is that by copying stuff from one svg file to another, the
> items are relabeled (the ids are regenerated) so they have to be recreated
> for each frame. Moreover, the current runners use a clever trick, where a
> "template" runner is drawn, whith body parts for legs, head, torso and so
> on, and the running frames are composed from references to these parts.
> It's quicker than having to draw  the parts independently over and over,
> even if it removes a bit of flexibility from the author.

FWIW, I hacked the Geek City theme by copying and renaming the
whole default.svg file, then pasting in Eugene's background from another
file and re-drawing just the bricks.  The "clever trick" (hail Mauricio!) was
handy for adjusting colors and contrast of running figures v. b/ground.

> But if there are improvement in the runners for
> the base set, porting them over the new theme would be impactical.

And yes, that became a problem after Luciano tuned up the running
action, frame-by-frame, in the original default.svg file.  BTW Inkscape
will one day support animation, so keeping the runners in separate
files would probably put us in a better position to take advantage of
those new Inkscape features when they come out.

Cheers, Ian W.