[Kde-games-devel] which libkdegames Highscore class for kgoldrunner

Mauricio Piacentini mauricio at tabuleiro.com
Wed Aug 8 03:48:22 CEST 2007

Jeremy Wick wrote:
> I will try to find the time to adapt kshisen as well although i am not
> sure of the result.
> Because there are many options that would need different high score
> tables (size of board, set of rules) this means a lot of tables.
>
> The "tabbed" dialog would be quite ugly.
>
> Any people have such case ?

I just had a thought, not sure if it applies to this particular case.
Currently the KShisen highscore is calculated based on some complex
rules (size of table I believe is one of them.) The end result is then
translated to a numeric value. In this case, I think we could still have
one and only tab, for the 10 greatest numeric values, and the size of
board and other component that was used to calculate each score could
still be displayed in this single table.
In other words, it is not really necessary to have different tabs for
each game option as a rule, imo. On some games like KMines this makes
sense, as we are only recording time, and this is the sole component of
the score. In others we could factor the board/rules complexity into the
total score value, I think. Or some could be ignored (different rules
for example), at least as far as computing highscores is concerned.
Remember that the highscores can be easily hacked anyway, as they are
simple preference files. The main point is to give the user some way to
measure his performance, and for this we can easily discard things like
different sliding rules (in KShisen) imo.

Regards,
Mauricio Piacentini