[Kde-games-devel] Status of games in SVN

Matt Williams matt at milliams.com
Wed Apr 11 13:52:37 CEST 2007

On Wednesday 11 April 2007 03:59:07 Mauricio Piacentini wrote:
> Ian Wadham wrote:
> > So how can I "continue to run the KDE 3 versions as they are"?  Even if
> > somehow I get hold of an old executable, what about the shared libraries?
> > If I run KDE 3's KGoldrunner in my KDE 4 account, I get:
> >
> > /opt/kde3/bin/kgoldrunner: symbol lookup
> > /extra/kde4/kde/lib/libkdegames.so.1: undefined symbol:
> > _ZNK12KConfigGroup9groupListEv ... :-(
>
> This is one of the questions I asked in the original email (or that I
> mean to ask, sorry for not being clearer.) I suppose it will be possible
> to run KDE3 applications in a KDE4 desktop, after installation of the
> appropriate libs (something most package systems can take care of.)
> Otherwise, people will go crazy, think about all the existing KDE3
> applications that are not ported so far. Maybe we are not there yet, and
> some libraries have to be renamed in order to make it work?
> This is probably a question for the core developers list. Does anyone
> know the answer to this question?

KDE3 games are currently linking against libkdegames.so.1 whereas KDE4 games
are linking against libkdegames.so.4 so from that point of view there
shouldn't be a problem. You should be able to have both libraries installed
in the same place without any clashes.

It would probably take some hacking about with $KDEDIRS (since the KDE3 games
need to look in, say, /opt/kde3/share... for their settings but their
$KDEDIRS will be pointing to /usr) but there's no reason I can see that it
isn't possible.

This problem isn't just applicable to us though, I believe it was the plan for
KDE4 as a whole to allow a way for KDE3 programs to be run without any
conflicts. Maybe someone on k-c-d knows something?

--
Matt Williams
http://milliams.com