[Kde-games-devel] Status of games in SVN

Mark A. Taff marktaff at comcast.net
Wed Apr 11 07:25:48 CEST 2007

Time for me to jump in. :-)

In a perfect world, I would want to see all the games be ported, svg'd,
themed, etc.  It isn't going to happen in time for KDE 4.0.

I think we have to focus on the work already in progress, and see that it gets
up to KDE's expected level of polish before we release KDE 4.0.  Those other
games are just going to have to wait their turn for some TLC.  That means
games like Atlantik will have to sit this round out.  And I have played, and
enjoyed it.  And I will miss it in KDE4.

Once KDE 4.0 comes out, we will have very little to do with regards to the
games we are working so hard on curently.  Some bug-fixes, some new themes, a
new feature here and there.  I for one will certainly be looking for a game
to call my own. :-)

I'm sure the users will be upset that some games aren't included, but there
are real limits to what we can accomplish in the time given.  I like the idea
of a compatability lib, if that is more feasible than just fixing the games.

Plus, correct me if I'm wrong, but any game *not* in the kdegames module (say
in unmaintained/unstable) isn't bound by the release schedule.  So once they
are moved there, we can work on them before KDE4.0, *if* we have all our
other work done.  So perhaps some extra games will be ready for 4.0.1 or
4.0.2

So in summary:
1) Let the review team give the games a thumbs up or down, for KDE 4.0
2) Get the games that make the cut nice and polished.
3) As time permits, get the games that didn't make the cut ready for a later
release.

That's my opinion. The bidding starts at $.02 ;-)

Regards,

Mark