[Kde-games-devel] integration between teg.sf.net and the kde risk game

Kleag kleag at free.fr
Sat Apr 7 00:34:28 CEST 2007

Hello,

Yes, some integration with teg is an old goal for me too. In fact, at the end
of the KsirK TODO file, there was during a long time an entry about KsirK
becoming a TEG client. This could still be feasible but with probably major
changes in KsirK. The two games have really different gameplays.
Particularly, KsirK is more oriented toward a kind of "Virtual Reality": you
see the pieces instead of numbers, you drag and drop to show the fighting
countries like you would move pieces on the real board, etc. So, there is
mainly more sprites in a KsirK skin.

About integration, I up to now reused two maps from jrisk (I had to withdraw
one of them because its copyright was not clear). There was still several
things to write manually.

I just looked at a few teg themes (yours is beautiful Caio) and there is
clearly a lot of data that could be easily transfered to a KsirK skin. As for
jrisk, a few manual work would remain.

But currently the main problem is that the KDE4 version of KsirK uses
exclusively SVG graphics. I think that it should probably (in a future
version) support both SVG and PNG graphics.

Caio, if you want to port your TAG theme to a ksirk skin (it would be
awesome :-) ), you'll have at least to:
- convert it to SVG,
- create (or take from other skins) sprites (animated if possible) : flags,
infantry, cavalry, cannon, firing cannon and exploding cannon
- create a map-mask (map with one blue value for each country)
- convert the teg them XML to the ksirk skin XML
I would be happy to help in any of these tasks. It could also be a good
oportunity to test the possibility to install ksirk skins in the
user .kde/share directory...

Bye,

Kleag

Le jeudi 05 avril 2007, Caio Begotti a écrit :
> Hi, I've joined this list just to ask that and then follow up the
> discussion about it :-)
>
> [09:23:18] 	caio1982	am i in the right timezone to ask something in
> here? :-)
> [09:25:23] 	caio1982	i've read the latest kde commit digest and I saw
> a reference about the old Risk game for kde. I'd like to know if
> there is some work being done to integrate teg.sf.net maps
> [09:25:27] 	caio1982	into krisk
> [09:25:53] 	caio1982	teg.sf.net is a very neat risk game for gtk and
> iirc josef already knows it :)
> [09:27:41] 	josef|vista	oi caio1982, blz?
> [09:28:47] 	caio1982	josef|vista: ola :-) long time no see you
> [09:29:19] 	caio1982	josef|vista: do you know anything about
> "integration" between both games?
> [09:29:55] 	caio1982	i'd love to port my hi-definition map to SVG
> (which is just a pixmap theme for TEG that I've created)
> [09:41:45] 	josef|vista	I hope there'll be such collaboration, I
> already suggested it once
> [09:48:05] 	caio1982	josef|vista: so i think i should join the
> mailing list and start a thread about it there :-)
> [09:49:30] 	josef|vista	yes, that would be welcome
> [09:49:44] 	josef|vista	especially since TEG needs a new release
> [09:49:51] 	caio1982	indeed
> [09:50:01] 	josef|vista	hm, I remember there was some talk about that
> some days ago in this channel
>
> What do you guys think?
>
> Cheers!
>
> --
> Caio Begotti
>
> <http://caio.ueberalles.net>
> <http://caio.alfanumerico.net>

KsirK - a turn-based strategy game for KDE
http://gna.org/projects/ksirk

KGraphViewer - a GraphViz dot graphs viewer
http://extragear.kde.org/apps/kgraphviewer