[Kde-games-devel] Kalzium Similations/Games and your new code

Maurizio Monge maurizio.monge at gmail.com
Thu Sep 21 19:23:52 CEST 2006

On 9/21/06, Jaison Lee <lee.jaison at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Yes, it seems to be. Let us refer to it as the KBoard-Canvas for now: it
> > is really a light canvas class, without transformations or the
> > model/view architecture. It is still not decided if/how it will be
> > integrated in the kdegames module as well, although I believe it should,
> > as a good solution when the game does not need the full QGraphicsView
> > solution, but could benefit from dirty rect management and optimal
> > update calculation.
>
> Is this KBoard thing good enough that we should consider putting it
> right into kdelibs? If QGV really has as bad performance as people are
> saying[1] there are probably lots of apps that may decide to use
> something more light-weight.
>
> Also, there has been previous discussion about making a kdegameslibs
> module similar to what kdepimlibs is, which seemed like a good idea to
> me and would definitely help if we keep KBoard in libkdegames.
>
> Maurizio Monge, are you still out there? :) What's your opinions on any of this?

Yup, i am :)
My opinion is that i'm a bit surprised (with pleasure) that people like so much
my canvas, it was just a thing "between a QPainter and the QGV" that i wrote
for KBoard (the KBoard generic game application, kboard.sf.net).
However, looks like that it solves problems for many people, so maybe
libkdegames could be a good place to put it, to make it easily available.
So, if you like, i will maintain it in libkdegames (as i'm going to
maintain it for
kboard anyway, kboard will still have a copy to make it possible to compile it
qt-only, but if kde is available it will use the kde version).
About the class names of course changes can (and will) be made as you best
like, for instance of course "Canvas" is a too generic name to use it in a kde
library :)
The reason i used namespaces is because i don't  like
KdeGamesCanvasVeryLongItemNames, but of course in libkdegames it shall
respect the existing naming conventions.
Best regards.

> [1] So far I have heard multiple people say that QGV is both really,
> really fast and really, really slow, so I don't know what to believe
> anymore. :)

Ciao
Maurizio

"Well we all shine on
Like the moon and the stars and the sun" (John Lennon)