[Kde-games-devel] backgammon

Mauricio Piacentini mauricio at tabuleiro.com
Thu Sep 21 16:08:44 CEST 2006

Jaison Lee wrote:
>> I realize there is a Kbackgammon, but the graphics are dated and doesn't
>> appear to be maintained.
>
> Please make sure KBackgammon is unmaintained by attempting to reach
> Jens Hoefkens, and getting his input on things. During the push to
> KDE4 there have been a number of cases where people have thought a
> program was unmaintained when in fact the maintainer was just not
> being particularly pro-active.

Yes, this is of course needed, and the first step before we even think
about enhancing/rewriting the implementation. I am not a big fan of
fixing what is not broken :) But to be honest we have no way currently
to actually KNOW what is broken, or what will not be improved in time
for KDE4, as we lack a formal process for this. There are some games
that I THINK are broken in SVN, but it might be simply my lack of
understanding of their requirements or rules.

This is something also scheduled for discussion in the wiki. My proposal
is to list all applications and evaluate their current status before we
decide how to deal with each one for KDE4. We need to do this in a
consistent way, imo this is one of the most important decisions we need
to take on the next week or so: the games that need fixing, the ones
that need improvement, and the ones that could probably be moved to
retirement, with creation of a new module for this purpose (pasture,
extragear?) I do not think that necessarily every game that was part of
kdegames in KDE3 should still be available in the "main" collection. Of
course, I believe all that are playable should be available somehow,
maybe in a different module, like the proposed extragear, or a
pasture-legacy module, which could be a cool way to keep offering games
that are showing its age in a nice/positive way.

We should also evaluate the new candidates for inclusion (Kisrk, KBoard,
Koware...) Lots of work ahead, but I believe this is the right time to
do it.

Regards,
Mauricio Piacentini