[Kde-games-devel] ksudoku and kde-games

Johannes Bergmeier Johannes.Bergmeier at gmx.net
Thu Nov 23 13:09:55 CET 2006

> Hi,
>
> First of all I want to congratulate Johannes for his excellent work on
> ksudoku. It really looks great.
You don't have to congratulate me, not yet. Until the current version 0.3
everything was done by Francesco Rossi. And even now I'm only one member of
the team. But we are working on improving the current version to be better
looking with more fun and easier gameplay.

> I have two suggestions for an improved user interface for ksudoku, because I
> think the current interface is not very intuitive, and not very comfortable.
>
> I think the user should be able to use only the keyboard, or only the mouse.
>
> For using the keyboard only, it should be possible to select the cell with
> the arrow keys, and insert the value by typing the number (or the letter
> respectively). Typing 0 could remove the value.
I think we would go this way. (Maybe it will work this way: number = select
number, Shift+number = mark that number, Ctrl+number = highlight all
occurences of number)

> Alternatively (for using only the numeric keypad), the user could insert 3
> numbers (for 9x9 sudokus only): The first digit selects one of the nine 3x3
> boxes (same arrangement as on the keypad), the second selects the cell
> within the box, and the third specifies the value to insert.
This is a nice idea. But as you allready have written this is only practical
for 9x9 sudokus. However we plan to also add jigsaw and and maybe other
gametypes. Creating a complete new userinterface which can only be used in
one case (even when it is the most used one) seems to be to much overhead
now.

> For using the mouse only, one could have all digits within each cell, also
> in a 3x3 grid (see attached image as an example). Clicking on one of these
> digits selects that value. Clicking on one with the right mouse button
> removes that digit from that cell. With this technique we both have
> selection and cell notes at the same time. The user can remove all the
> digits for each cell that are not possible there with the right mouse
> button, and when he is sure to know the correct value, he can select that
> with the left mouse button. For beginners, one could also remove the digits
> that are not possible (because of the digit already being in the same row,
> column or box) automatically. Of course this feature must be optional. These
> small digits in each cell are possible for every sudoku size (also 16x16 and
> 25x25), it only needs more space for a cell, so that all the small digits
> are still readable.
This can be done, but I it has to wait, there are other things, that need to
be done first. However it wouldn't be difficult to do, as the rendering and
input are completely seperated from the gamelogic (and that is mostly my
fault ;)