[Kde-games-devel] Tileset format for KMahjongg

Henrique Pinto henrique.pinto at kdemail.net
Fri Nov 17 22:56:31 CET 2006

On Fri 17 Nov 2006 19:02, Mauricio Piacentini wrote:
> Your suggestion seems perfect for the localization needs! I would
> probably add a version field to it, just for future compatibility. What
> I am trying to prevent is for example if 3 years down the road (KDE5?)
> we decide to change the specifications for the linked graphics, like we
> are doing now. Current code (KDE4) would not be able to deal with it
> properly. This happens today with the .tileset data for KMahjongg, as
> the KDE3 version crashes if it runs into KDE4 .tileset data. Thankfully
> we will be moving the new tilesets to a shared location, so this will
> eliminate the problem.

Adding a version field is trivial, and should work.

> Well, that is something to consider. Ideally I agree that each
> application could generate the preview, as it "knows" how to deal with
> the theme data. This is what KMahjongg is already doing.
> But I believe the idea of generating a pre-rendered PNG is a nice way to
> cut down on the amount of code in the app, and at the same time provide
> a standard way for users to render the previews of themes. KNewStuff if
> I am not mistaken uses the PNG approach already.
>
> One idea I would consider was to make it possible to use a
> pre-constructed .svg for preview as well, for the cases where it makes
> sense to do so (svg size < png size). Using the theme .svg directly is
> probably not a good idea, since this is almost always organized in a
> certain way that is not optimal for preview.

Idea: Have a class for generating preview images for themes. A default
implementation would look for pre-rendered PNGs, but individual
applications could create a derived class that would render the pixmaps
from SVG.

> I will be away this weekend, it is an extended holiday here in Brazil
> for those that do not know it, but I will be happy to help you with this
> next week, maybe with testing, and adapting KMahjongg to use it as well,
> so we can test the implementation on more than one game.
>
> Thinking about that, are you going to code during the holiday, Henrique?
> Or is Monday a normal work day at Belo Horizonte?

Monday is a normal work day at Belo Horizonte :(

--
	Henrique Pinto
	henrique.pinto at kdemail.net