[Kde-games-devel] extracting atlantik game server framework for a global KDEgames server product.

Mauricio Piacentini mauricio at tabuleiro.com
Tue Nov 14 15:48:27 CET 2006

Mathieu Jobin wrote:
> KGame allow easy network games in KDE, right.
> but nothing like Atlantik yet. where you can search for servers and people
> to play againsts.
> is there any plan so far to extract this work from Atlantik, make it KDE
> wide so people would have a single starting point to find players to play
> against? on any game?

I believe Atlantik is a monopd client, meaning it can connect only to
this specific type of server, and play game types that can be hosted on
it (monopoly.) There is nothing wrong with this, but it means the
network implementation can not be easily applied to other games.

During the aKademy BoF we discussed possible integration with online
game servers, specifically GGZ (www.ggzgamingzone.org). But at this time
there is no active work being done on this integration afaik.

I believe integrating support for an existing cross-platform game server
project is probably the best course of action, as it would allow matches
against people using clients from different projects and technologies
(GTK clients, Java applets, and others.)

Regards,
Mauricio Piacentini