[Kde-games-devel] Draft of IRC meeting summary for review

Mauricio Piacentini mauricio at tabuleiro.com
Thu Nov 2 04:47:25 CET 2006

Please email me with corrections to it, I will wait for a few hours, and
then post the final version to a blog/wiki. I read the irc log (while I
was away) and danimo offered to edit for publication on the dot. Does
anyone here has his email address?

Regards,
Mauricio Piacentini

PS- getting tired of typing non-code stuff :)

---------------------------------

First kdegames monthly IRC meeting summary

The idea of a monthly IRC meeting to discuss kdegames was well received
by the KDE community. The meeting started on time, Wednesday Nov 1st,
7PM UTC. There was about 25-30 people attending, including the majority
of active kdegames maintainers, artists, new developers, translators and
contributors in general.
We had a brief round of introductions and began to tackle the agenda.
For reference it is still available at
http://wiki.kde.org/tiki-index.php?page=KDE+Games+IRC+meeting .

The first topic discussed was the KDE Games Survey. Survey results are
up (until Dec 15) at
http://www.surveymonkey.com/Report.asp?U=274837292751
Most people agreed that the game ratings were useful specially to
identify which currently non-maintained applications we should
prioritize for KDE4. So the question of finding active maintainers for
some applications was raised, again. The ones who still do not have
candidates and were mentioned specifically in the meeting are
libkdegames, ksirtet, klickety, kfouleggs, kolf, atlantik, ksame,
ksokoban and katomic.

During the meeting, we already identified people willing to step up and
work on some of these applications. Dmitry Suzdalev is already working
on katomic, so he volunteer to maintain it for KDE4. Johann  Ollivier
Lapeyre (from the Oxygen team) will team up with him and improve the
graphics.

Paul Broadbent renewed his former proposal made on kde-games-devel, and
is already looking at Kolf. He intends to work on it for KDE4, but is
still evaluating the project to get familiar with the code. But there
are still several unmaintained applications. If you want to consider
maintaining one of them please email the kde-games-devel list. An
updated list of maintainers can be found at
http://wiki.kde.org/tiki-index.php?page=KDE%20games%20maintainers .

The next issue was about removal of unmaintained games from the module.
We also considered the removal of games that are starting to show their
age and that were rated low in the survey. One proposal was to remove
also duplicated functionality, and some mentioned KSame/Klickety as an
example of this, which was not agreed by others. The discussion
proceeded for some time, but it was clear that we would not reach a
consensus on this. The survey results regarding this topic are also divided.

As a way to deal with this issue, we discussed what was tentatively
called the "kdegames guidelines for KDE4", a loose set of rules
specifying what we are looking for in games that will be part of the
KDE4 distribution. Following the results of the survey, we agreed on
some basic minimal topics:

-Scalable windows and graphics (preferrably SVG based)
-Theme support
-Usability improvements
-Some form of network support (where applicable)

We also agreed to form a review team for kdegames with some of the more
experienced contributors, formed by Albert, Pino, Stephan and Johann.
The plan is not to tackle the issue of removing games right now, but to
re-visit this topic in 3 to 4 months. This gives us more time to find
maintainers or contributors that can bring current applications to the
level of polish we need for KDE4. There is plenty of time for this, but
if no one steps up to maintain an applications, and if it is not
polished to a level consistent with the rest of the KDE4 artwork (think
Oxygen-quality), then the review team may consider removing it from the
main kdegames module before KDE4 is released.

For the same reasons, the proposal to move some games from kdeedu to
kdegames is on-hold. There is really not much difference to the end user
where the applications are inside the SVN tree, the important point is
to make sure these are grouped using freedesktop.org standard .desktop
categories, which will end up grouping blinKen, KHangMan, KTuberling and
Kanagram anyway under the GAMES/KIDS category. It was noted that the
games in kdeedu all have active maintainers, so they are in better shape
than some in the kdegames module. Colaboration is needed, but we already
have developers working on both modules actively.

Following the agenda, we then discussed the inclusion of new games in
the package. Initial candidates are Kisrk, Kboard, ksudoku and
kbilliards. Kisrk and Kboard are already in SVN (playground.) We will
invite the developers of ksudoku and kbilliards to join the module. We
will follow the KDE procedure for inclusion of new applications, with a
move to kdereview before games are accepted into kdegames.

There was discussion on the issue of using custom widgets for games. The
general consensus was that we do not want to create a new widget set
just for games, and will generally use what KDE offers in terms of
dialog boxes, toolbars and other widgets. But the in-game GUI do not
have to follow this rule, developers are free to use what is more
appropriate for buttons, text areas and other control elements. A good
example is blinKen. The in-game elements should preferrably be themeable
as well.

It was suggested that all games for KDE4 ship with at least one
Oxygen-like theme, for visual consistency. Johann is already working on
this and has checked in a suggestion for KWin4 as a start. Other games
that are already being revamped following the "kdegames guidelines for
KDE4" are KMahjongg, Kpat and KReversi.

All in all, a very satisfactory result, considering it was a first
meeting, and the chaotic nature of IRC communication. In the end we
agreed to repeat the meeting experience next month. Scheduled time will
be announced via kde-games-devel, and wiki.kde.org.