[Kde-games-devel] Change wand and light bulb around?

Ian Wadham ianw at netspace.net.au
Sat Mar 4 07:11:19 CET 2006

Hi,

I notice that "kstdgameaction.h" acquired two new game-actions
called "hint" and "solve" in KDE 3.2.  The icon for "hint" is a
wizard's wand and for "solve" is a light bulb.

I suggest that they should be the other way around: "hint" as a
light bulb and "solve" as a wizard's wand.  Why?

Well, to me a hint is just a good idea, something to set you on the
right path: it is not a complete solution.  A famous example is the
apple that fell near the young Isaac Newton.  It took him several
years to work out his "solution" in full (his theory of gravity).

In the world of cartoons, the traditional symbol for this is ... a
light bulb.  Also we have the icon for the venerable KDE KTip
application, which is a light bulb (icon name "ktip") and there
is also a KDE icon called "idea" which is a light bulb.

On the other hand, getting a game program to solve a puzzle
for you is rather like using magic, the easy way to solve
real-world problems (if you believe in it), as when Mickey
Mouse, the Sorcerer's Apprentice in the movie "Fantasia",
used his master's spells to do his chores ...  So I think "solve"
should be the wizard's wand.

What do others think?  Hope this does not start TOO much
discussion ... ;-)

All the best, Ian Wadham.