[Kde-games-devel] Where/how is $(LIB_KDEGAMES) defined?

Ian Wadham ianw at netspace.net.au
Wed Jul 19 08:20:48 CEST 2006

From: "Andreas Beckermann" <b_mann at gmx.de>
> Actually you should not use internal kdegames variables
> in your non-kdegames tarball ;-)

Ah well, we have a rather relaxed attitude to authority
in Australia ;-) ... but my game *is* a KDE game (KGoldrunner)
and I wanted a friend to be able to try out some bug fixes before
I check them in and without him having to know too much about
KDE Devel, SVN etc.  He's a Java developer and that's what
tarballs are for, to let others compile and install without hassles.

Besides, I have a new game I am writing and would like to do
some "test marketing" before (hopefully) making it a KDE game.
In both cases I am looking for a stand-alone build and install.

> But yes, looking at the kdegames/configure.in.in, this file indeed has
support
> for cvs2pack, so copying this file to your tarball should fix the problem.
>
> The problem here is (in case you care about the explanation)

Thanks, Andi, and yes I do.

> That's why we can't easily use "-lkdegames" in kdegames and use the
> LIB_KDEGAMES variable instead.

So here's a suggestion from an old system architect from way back.
Why not get $(LIB_KDEGAMES) defined (by default) as "-lkdegames"
in all that KDE "admin" apparatus, or whatever the CMake equivalent
will be.  That's what seems to happen with other KDE libraries.  You
could still re-define it to use a dev or test library in the "kdegames" dir
and so could I (for final compilation and testing), but I much prefer to
work with *stable* libraries every day.

All the best, Ian W.