[Kde-games-devel] KGame/KPlayer API usability in kdegames

Dmitry Suzdalev dimsuz at gmail.com
Mon Jul 10 16:54:24 CEST 2006

On Monday 10 July 2006 18:28, Andreas Beckermann wrote:
> So why kde-devel instead of kde-games-devel?
Because, everytime I write there my message gets no reply for several days :).
Plus it turned out that not all game developers subscribed to kde-games-devel
(surprise!), but are subscribed to kde-devel.

> They were meant to make network based games easier. That's pretty much the
> whole point.
Yes, I spotted this usage :). It makes sense.

> On the other hand there are also lots of concepts which worked out
> perfectly, such as the KGameIO concept which makes network/AI/human players
> pretty much all the same and thus very easy :-)
As it turned out several days ago (I reported this case here on the list),
this concept doesn't always work. For example, KGameMouseIO can't handle
QGraphicsView (qt4 replacement of QCanvas), because QGraphicsView has it's
own mouse*Event() functions and won't give this event's to outside world (in
this case to KGameMouseIO::eventFilter() ).
So it can't be considered general-purpose and working on _any_ widget...

> So if you intend to throw KGame away, please let the relevant people (i.e.
> especially kde-games-devel) know, so we (in particular me) can use
> replacements for existing code. In particular it'd be pointless for boson
> to keep a copy of kgame, if kgame doesn't really exist anymore (atm we
> provide a copy of the kgame directory, so that boson doesn't depend on
> libkdegames). And of course my 2 local games that are not in a releasable
> state will need some changes then, too. So I'd really like to get informed
> before kgame is going to /dev/null
At the moment I'm not intending anything - I'm collecting information :))).
Being a newbie, I'm a bit afraid of doing such serious steps as throwing away
looking-general-purpose classes on my own :).

Btw, you've said you keep kgame copy with boson. Are you using it heavily?

Cheers,
Dmitry.