[Kde-games-devel] I am just making new opensource  draughts/checkers for kde using QT4.1

Albert Astals Cid aacid at kde.org
Sun Jan 29 19:30:35 CET 2006

A Diumenge 29 Gener 2006 17:31, vàreu escriure:
> Does it have artificially intelligence, i mean, can it also be played by a
>  single player?
>
> Yes, it has.

Nice

> but International engine, is much stronger, because I like to play it.
>

>  Does your game rely on kdelibs/libkdegames or only on Qt4?
>  To be part of KDEgames you have to use some of the KDE infraestructure, if
>  not, it makes no sense to have a pure Qt game inside KDEgames.
>
> No it doesnt rely on kdelibs, because I wanted to make it available also
> for windows.

Well, kdelibs4 will be available for Linux(X11), Mac and Windows, so that
should not be a problem

> But if you like to include it in the KDE  I would like to use  KDE
> infraestructure,
>
> > Can you put it somewhere in the internet so we can have a look at it?
>
> find the atached source.

The game seems nice, but needs some polishment, some dialogs do not resize
nicely and for example there is no way to exit the game except using [x]
button of window decoration.

Now on to the interesting things:
 - I am not the one who decides if the game can go or not inside kdegames, we
have a working group (well really do not have it right now but it will exist
in 2 weeks time or so) that decides that kind of things
 - It is obvious the game is not polished enough (for now) to go directly into
kdegames

So what i suggest is:
 - Read this http://developer.kde.org/documentation/misc/applysvnaccount.php
and tell sysadmins you want to continue developing a game you are doing for
kde4
 - You will probably be accepted, then import your sources into
branches/work/kde4/playground/games/      This is where we are developing
"unstable" games that may end in kdegames for KDE4
 - Continue developing your game there, one of the first things you have to do
is use kdelibs.
 - Once you think it is polished enough ask the working group about the
possibility of adding it to kdegames

Keep in mind once your code gets in kde svn it can be touched by more people
than you, people usually ask for permission before doing it, but some others
do not when it is simple/obvious fixes.

Also keep in mind that introducing a dependecy on kdelibs4 means you will NOT
be able of releasing your game for public until kdelibs4 is released and that
will take some time (estimates from 9 months to 2 years)

BTW this is all assuming your game is under a license allowed by KDE

Albert