[Kde-games-devel] a new chess interface for KDE

Alan Horkan horkana at maths.tcd.ie
Mon Feb 20 12:34:17 CET 2006

On Mon, 20 Feb 2006, Paolo Capriotti wrote:

> Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2006 11:05:38 +0100
> From: Paolo Capriotti <p.capriotti at gmail.com>
> To: For developers interested in developing games in KDE
>     <kde-games-devel at kde.org>
> Subject: Re: [Kde-games-devel] a new chess interface for KDE
>
> On 2/19/06, Alan Horkan <horkana at maths.tcd.ie> wrote:
> >
> > Dont suppose it is cross platform?  (I like cross platform software, some
> > employers do not give users much choice of OS even though I can install
> > applications.)
>
> Right now, Linux is the only operating system I have access to. AFAIK,
> KDE libraries have not been ported to Windows or OSX.

The Database Kexi is one of the few KDE applications ported to windows and
a significant chunk of KDE libraries do work on Windows for what it is
worth.

> Anyway, even if I am considering portability issues, I'm first focusing
> on a Linux implementation, and maybe I'll try to port it to Windows
> later,

Sure, developers perogative but I'm stuck using Windows at work and I
always welcome more Free Software (as in freedom) irrespective of what OS
I'm using and there is no harm in asking.

> > Do you have a general roadmap of your own?  How do you plan to
> > differentiate from good old xboard?

> On a first iteration, it will be just a 'better xboard': all xboard
> featurs + fancier graphics, resizable windows,

It would be nice to have a choice of graphics, and I do appreciate
applications which can resize properly (both scale down for smaller
displays and up for larger screens).

> 'game-aware' piece animations, multiple boards for observing games,
> support for shogi and variants, the ability to see captured pieces and
> drop them onto the chessboard on games like crazyhouse.

Sounds great.  Best of luck.

Sincerely

Alan Horkan

P.S.  I'm an enthusiastic user of KDE games so I'll leave it to the
developers to add any more suggestions.